Friday, April 1, 2016

Week 8

Hello again!

This week was very interesting, because it was the first week I saw how a doctor's schedule can change very easily.  Unlike other jobs, a doctor's schedule is dependent on the number of patients rather than having specific hours.  Therefore, the number of hours a doctor works can be very different from day to day.  During my rotation in the Wound Clinic, the hours are pretty regularly 8:30 to 12:30.  However, this week I stayed in the clinic a lot longer: the last day, I stayed in until around 2.  Although I realize that this is still not an incredibly long time, it showed me that doctors' schedules can be very irregular.

I collected all my data this week, and can finally start with my analysis!  I am planning on calculating the percentage of closure in the wounds' areas over 90 days, along with calculating the rate of closure from visit to visit.

And, finally, I know what you've all been waiting for; after all, my blog wouldn't be complete without a couple of gross pictures, right?  I learned about a few more different kinds of wounds this week.  Because the Wound Clinic is mainly out-patient (patients are not currently admitted to the hospital for treatment), this type of wound is not commonly seen there because it is so severe.  However, along with seeing the progression of many of the patients this week, the doctors taught me a bit about "gangrene."

Gangrene is defined as dead tissue caused either by lack of blood flow or infection.  Lots of the patients have venous insufficiency or an infection in their wounds, which can cause the tissue surrounding the wound to die.  The medical term for this dead tissue is "eschar" and must be removed for the wound to heal.  Below is a picture of gangrene:


As you can see above, some of the toes are dead or dying.  These toes most definitely would have to be amputated.  If you refuse to read my blog again I completely understand.

That's all for this week, folks! 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alison!

    Wow, what a picture! How does gangrene usually develop? Like ulcers, is it more common among diabetic patients?

    When a doctor is not with patients, is there much follow-up work to be done that keeps a physician in the office?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures keep getting better and better each week!

    So for gangrene, is the decay of tissue mainly in a person's extremities, like fingers and toes, or can it occur anywhere in the body where there has been low blood flow/infection?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just thought I'd stop by and was hoping to see a gross picture, luckily I came just in time apparently. YAY! What is the procedure (outside of amputation) to deal with something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the pictures, Alison! Are bad infections what can lead to gangrene?

    ReplyDelete